SPD Isues 19 Seat Belt Citations During Click It Or Ticket

The Searcy Police Department successfully brought awareness to area residents during its annual Click It or Ticket high-visibility seat belt enforcement campaign, held May 20th through June 2nd.

Law enforcement officers wrote a total of 19 citations for seat belt violations in the process.

The campaign, which coincided with the Memorial Day holiday, one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year, was twofold: to combine increased enforcement and a zero-tolerance policy, with effective communication to road users on the importance of seat belt use.

“This year’s Click It or Ticket campaign was a real success,” said Sergeant Todd Dewitt. “Through our enforcement efforts, we believe we helped keep community members safe and reminded drivers of the importance of buckling up. Issuing tickets was not our goal, but it was a way to remind people of the importance of such a simple action.”

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly half of the passenger vehicle occupants killed in crashes in 2017 were unrestrained. During this year’s campaign, NHTSA urged law enforcement nationwide to issue seat belt citations to anyone caught in violation of the law—during the day, and especially at night, when 55 percent of those killed are unrestrained.

The national seat belt use rate in 2017 was 89.7 percent. The Click It or Ticket campaign is for the remaining 10.3 percent who still don’t buckle up. Thousands of lives could be saved each year if every person was properly restrained on the road.

For more information on the Click It or Ticket mobilization, please visit www.nhtsa.gov/ciot.

Designed by Reinhold Technology Solutions