Residents Must Maintain Flood Coverage Or Risk Missing Out On Future Aid

LITTLE ROCK – If disaster strikes once, it can strike again. Make sure you’re prepared — and remain eligible for assistance from the federal government — by buying and maintaining flood insurance.

If your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program and your property is in a high-risk zone known as a special flood hazard area (SFHA), you are required by law to purchase and maintain flood insurance if you have received federal disaster assistance for flood damage. Otherwise, when disaster strikes again, you will be ineligible for federal assistance for insurable flood damage to your home or its contents.

Homeowners in SFHAs who receive disaster assistance must maintain flood insurance for as long as the property address exists. If the home is sold, the insurance requirement is passed to the new owner; buyers should thoroughly research the history of property before closing.     MORE

Designed by Reinhold Technology Solutions