National Register Of Historic Places

AHPP

The State Review Board of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program will consider 16 Arkansas properties in nine counties for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places when it meets at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, December 5, at the Department of Arkansas Heritage Building at 1100 North Street in Little Rock.

The properties being considered for nomination to the National Register are:

  • Winchester Building in Little Rock, Pulaski County, a 1947 Art Moderne-style commercial structure.
  • Dr. Eugene Towbin House in Little Rock, Pulaski County, a 1960 Mid-Century Modern-style house built for noted doctor, Eugene Towbin.
  • Noland Blass, Jr., House in Little Rock, Pulaski County, a 1952 Mid-Century Modern-style house that was the home of noted architect Noland Blass, Jr.
  • Ross Building in Little Rock, Pulaski County, an 1895 commercial building that has served as a grocery store and mattress factory, among other uses.
  • Gene Rush House in the Roland vic., Pulaski County, a c.1964 house that is a simplified version of the Mid-Century Modern style.
  • Dr. Albert H. Tribble House in Hot Springs, Garland County, a 1938 Colonial Revival-style house that was home to a noted doctor and developer.
  • Pine Bluff Arsenal Access Road Bridge #2280 in White Hall, Jefferson County, a 1942 bridge that was important in the transportation network around the Pine Bluff Arsenal.
  • Magnolia Petroleum Company Filling Station in Kingsland, Cleveland County, a c.1930 filling station that combines the Craftsman and Tudor Revival styles of architecture.
  • Batesville Commercial Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation in Batesville, Independence County, which updates the nomination for the city’s commercial core.
  • Pocahontas Federal Savings and Loan Building in Pocahontas, Randolph County, a 1960 Mid-Century Modern bank building designed by the architecture firm of Reed and Willis.
  • Oak Hill School near Marshall, Searcy County, a c.1934 one-room schoolhouse.
  • Lakeview Historic District in Lakeview, Phillips County, a 1935 resettlement project for African-American farmers during the Great Depression.
  • Gulf Oil Company Filling Station in Stamps, Lafayette County, a c.1930 filling station that used Gulf Oil Company’s standard “Sandbrick” design.
  • Oakland in El Dorado, Union County, a 1939 Colonial Revival-style residence built for members of the Murphy family.
  • Wilson Motor Company in Wilson, Mississippi County, a c.1930 auto dealership designed by Memphis architect George Mahan, Jr.
  • Rogers Milk Plant Building in Rogers, Benton County, a 1928 concrete building important for its associations with the history of agriculture and industry in Rogers.

In addition, the State Review Board will also consider the Leveck House in Little Rock, James Phillip Smith House in Benton, Dr. Herbert H. McAdams House in Jonesboro, and the McNutt House and Cottage in Arkadelphia for nomination to the Arkansas Register.

For more information on the National Register of Historic Places program, write the AHPP at 1100 North Street, Little Rock, AR 72201, call the agency at (501) 324-9880, send e-mail to info@arkansaspreservation.org or visit www.arkansaspreservation.org.

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage division responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.

Designed by Reinhold Technology Solutions