New Arkansas National Register Properties

AHPP

Seventeen Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties.

The newly listed properties are:

  • Gulf Oil Company Filling Station in Stamps, Lafayette County, built c.1930 using the Gulf Oil Company’s “sandbrick’ corporate design. “The Gulf Oil Company Filling Station is an early example of the types of filling stations that were built to handle the increasing number of automobiles that were present in Arkansas during the 1920s,” according to the National Register nomination. The Gulf Oil Company Filling Station is “a good example of a c.1930-era Gulf Oil Company “sandbrick” corporate design. First used in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1917, the Gulf Oil Company Filling Station in Stamps follows the Gulf Oil Company corporate design of the late 1910s and 1920s.”
  • The Wilson Motor Company in Wilson in Mississippi County, a c.1930 automobile dealership. “Since its construction c.1930, only a few years after the creation of the nearby highway, this building would have been utilized by both locals and interstate motorists,” according to the National Register nomination. “As a purpose-built automobile dealership and service station, in the unusual Tudor-Revival style associated with the development of Wilson, Arkansas, the building is also significant for its architecture.”
  • Lakeview Resettlement Project Historic District in Lake View in Phillips County, the location of an African-American resettlement community. “The Lakeview Resettlement Project is important as a landscape designed to be used by a community of small independently owned and operated family farms with associated cooperative association properties,” according to the National Register nomination. “The Lakeview Resettlement
    Project is the earliest resettlement community specifically designated and planned for African-American resettlement clients in Region VI, which encompassed Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.”
  • Noland Blass, Jr., House in Little Rock in Pulaski County, built in 1952 and designed by Noland Blass, Jr., the house reflects Mid-Century Modern design. “The design of the Blass House is an excellent representation of the shift in residential design that was occurring across the country after World War II. The decorative pre-war revival styles, which were all the rage, were being pushed to the side by more functional and livable residential designs,” according to the National Register nomination. “The Noland Blass House illustrates many characteristics of the Mid-Century Modern style architectural style, including wide overhangs, contrasting wall materials and textures, and unusual window shapes and placements.”
  • Ross Building in Little Rock in Pulaski County, a neighborhood grocery store building built in 1895. “This building operated as a grocery store owned by a German-American immigrant, Charles E. Ross, from 1895 until 1930,” according to the National Register nomination. “The Ross Building is also significant as an excellent example of a late-nineteenth-century commercial block. It is one of the last remaining structures of this kind around the Arkansas State Capitol.”
  • Gene Rush House in Roland in Pulaski County, a simplified example of the Mid-Century Modern style built c.1964. “The Rush House clearly reflects the design trends that were impacting residential architecture in the Mid-Century Modern style after World War II. The house lacks the applied ornamentation that was so often used prior to World War II, and uses window placement and a variety of materials to give visual interest and ornamentation,” according to the National Register nomination. “The design of the Rush House also reflects the increased relationship between the indoors and outdoors, as well as the issue of privacy in house design. The design of the Rush House, with its large windows and easy access to the large deck encouraged residents and visitors to interact with the house’s surroundings.”
  • Rogers Milk Plant Building in Rogers in Benton County, a reinforced-concrete building built in 1928. “The first known occupant of the plant was Barnes Dairy Products. The first milk was received at the main factory building in January of 1929,” according to the National Register nomination. “In 1935, the Rogers Milk Plant was taken over by the Carnation Company who used the property and building as a receiving plant where they would receive, cool, weigh, and test milk that was brought in from dairy farms in Benton and Washington counties in Arkansas and McDonald County in southern Missouri. The Carnation Milk Company continued to operate the Rogers Milk Plant until the late 1960s, when it was eventually purchased by a local seed company who used the site until 2006.”
  • Magnolia Petroleum Company Filling Station in Cleveland County, built c.1930 to provide gas to residents and travelers in Kingsland. “The Magnolia Petroleum Company Filling Station is a good example of a c.1930-era Magnolia Petroleum Company corporate design.,” according to the National Register nomination. “The design employs characteristics of two of the most popular architectural styles of the period – Craftsman and Tudor Revival – and it is one of the most high-style buildings in Kingsland.”
  • Dr. Albert H. Tribble House in Hot Springs in Garland County, built in 1938 in the Neo-Classical Revival style. “The house sits on one of the most prominent properties in the surrounding Trivista development which was original purchased and developed by Dr. Tribble as an up-scale residential property development adjacent to Central Avenue, the main thoroughfare through the city and near the Oaklawn horse racing complex just to the south,” the nomination says. “The Tribble House is an excellent example of a Neo-Classical Revival Style home in Hot Springs, Arkansas, possibly designed by prominent architect Irven D. McDaniel prior to WWII.”
  • Batesville Commercial Historic District Boundary Increase in Batesville in Independence County, an update to the original National Register nomination. “Since its beginnings in the very early 19th century up into the mid-1980s, it has been the commercial center of a region in north central Arkansas that includes six counties,” according to the National Register nomination. “Today few buildings are empty, and downtown has become a dining, entertainment, and niche shopping center for the town.”
  • Pine Bluff Arsenal Access Road Bridge No. 2280 in White Hall in Jefferson County, built in 1942 to help provide access to the important military establishment. “The 1942 Pine Bluff Arsenal Access Road Bridge #2280 is a well-preserved example of a National Defense Highway Act of 1941 bridge in White Hall, Arkansas,” the nomination says. “The bridge was constructed as part of a national movement to construct adequate motor-truck transportation routes for the defense and military industries to adequately move goods, people and materials from location to location in the case of the United States’ entrance into war.”
  • Dr. Eugene Towbin House in Little Rock in Pulaski County, a 1960 Mid-Century Modern style home. “Dr. Towbin, who lived in the house from the time of its construction in 1960 until his death in 2003, was a national leader in the development of the study of geriatrics,” according to the nomination. “Under the leadership of Dr. Towbin, the Little Rock Veterans Administration Hospital established the first Geriatric Research and Education Center in the United States in 1972. The work of Dr. Towbin and the establishment of the Center brought about the medical specialty of geriatrics, and the founding of other departments of geriatrics at other medical schools.”
  • Winchester Auto Store in Little Rock, Pulaski County, built in 1947 using the Art Moderne style. “The Winchester Auto Store, built in 1947, is a rare surviving example of a style that was not widely used in Little Rock. The Art Moderne Style enjoyed a relatively brief period of popularity and was then eclipsed by the development and widespread use of the International Style, especially for large commercial buildings,” according to the National Register nomination. “The building was built by Dennis and Maude Winchester and marked the success of their Pre-World War II auto parts and repair service business as well as the post-war boom in the automobile industry.”
  • Pocahontas Federal Savings and Loan in Pocahontas in Randolph County, a 1960 Mid-Century Modern bank building. “The Pocahontas Federal Savings and Loan building is an important example of small-scale mid-century modern commercial space in Pocahontas,” according to the National Register nomination. “This building is a prime example of the work of Reed and Willis architects, which was a well-known architectural firm specializing in the designing of financial institution buildings in Arkansas.”
  • Oak Hill School House in the Marshall vicinity of Searcy County, built c.1934 to serve the students in the rural part of Searcy County. “When it was built c.1934, the Oak Hill School House became an important component of the education system for that part of rural Searcy County. The school not only educated students from that area, but also served as a community gathering place,” the nomination says. “The school remained an important part of the education system in Searcy County until it was consolidated with Witts Springs in the mid-1950s.”
  • Oakland in El Dorado in Union County, a 1938 Colonial Revival-style home. “The house is an amazingly intact and well-appointed example of the Colonial Revival style,” according to the nomination. “The design of Oakland in the formal Colonial Revival style is a departure from most of the buildings attributed to architect David Weaver. Dr. Garland Murphy wanted a home to remind him of his childhood in nearby Oakland, Louisiana, and was specific about its materials and design.”

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage division responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.

Designed by Reinhold Technology Solutions